Saturday 13 June 2015

Quinoa Pancakes


We all love pancakes. We all love quinoa. We all love dessert for breakfast. I'm having a huge obsession with trying out weird combinations when it comes to food. Sometimes I fail, and sometimes the engagement pays off, and it all tastes lovely. So yesterday I cooked a batch ready of white quinoa. I was planning on using the quinoa for a little something besides when I was planning curry for today...But that didn't happen. Not today at least. I woke up this morning and had an unstoppable craving on pancakes. The bad news was that I was almost running out of buckwheat flour, and so for that reason I followed my heart and made an improvised version of the pancakes that I usually make. But, oh my gosh how delicious these ones turned out! The grainy texture inside of the pancakes is delightful, and surprisingly enough, when cooking the pancakes, it leaves the surface completely crispy - which really is a sensation.


QUINOA PANCAKES
Makes 10 pancakes

2 eggs (If you're vegan this could be replaced with 6 tbsp chia seeds + 1/2 cup water)
1 cup (250g) white cooked quinoa
 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup water
1 cup almond milk / yoghurt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
about 2 tbsp coconut oil (for frying)


Whisk the eggs and add quinoa and flour. If you don't know how to cook quinoa, simply boil 1 part quinoa with 3 parts water for 20 minutes, making sure so stir every 5 minutes. Mix in the liquid, cinnamon and baking powder. Place a pan on the stove top, add a little coconut oil and let it heat up. Pour a couple of spoonfuls of batter on the pan, shape it into a circle and let it cook for about a minute on each side. Repeat this step until you have all the pancakes ready. Serve with blueberry jam, nut butter, maple syrup or your own favourite topping and enjoy! What I think tops it all off is shredding on some lemon zest, because it adds a nice touch of bitter- and sourness!


No comments:

Post a Comment